- How to wash chair pads in the washing machine
- How to remove stains from latex foam cushions
- Stain Resistant Treatments
- How to hand wash cushions
- How to spot clean cushions
- How to clean Indoor/Outdoor cushions
- How to wash Window Treatments & Table Linens
Can you wash foam cushions?
Most of our latex foam cushions are machine washable! This includes most of our dining chair pads, rocking chair cushions, travel pillows, and bar stool cushions. Keep reading below for instructions on how to wash foam cushions in the washing machine.
Most cushions made by other brands are not machine washable, and a few of our Barnett brand cushions covered with tapestry fabrics or other delicate fabrics require spot clean or hand wash. Please check the care label sewn into your cushions to see If your label indicates that your cushion is machine washable, spot clean, hand wash, or indoor/outdoor.
Please follow these care instructions when machine washing your chair pads:
How to wash chair pads in the washing machine
- Balance your washing machine before washing.
- Latex foam fill will become very heavy when wet, do not overload your washer.
- Wash with like colors.
- Wash in cool water.
- Wash on gentle cycle.
- Use a gentle detergent such as Woolite or Allergy Free Sensitive Skin laundry detergent. Do not use brighteners, bleach, or "color safe" bleach.
- See Stain Remover section below for warnings about stain removal products.
- See Alternative Cleaners section below for warnings about using cleaning agents other than laundry detergent.
- DO NOT dry foam cushions in the dryer, it will degrade the foam.
- If the cushions are dripping wet when they come out of the washing machine, use your hands to press or squeeze any excess water out of the foam before drying.
- For faster drying, air dry outside. To avoid fading, do not dry in direct sun, (unless your item is labeled "Indoor/Outdoor").
- For best results, dry on a rack or hang on a line.
- Allow 24 hours or more to dry completely.
- You may dry in a well-ventilated area indoors, but allow additional time for drying.
- Turn the cushion periodically as it dries.
- When cushion is almost dry, you may fluff the cushion in the dryer on a "no heat" setting. (Do not attempt if your dryer gets warm on the "no heat" setting.)
Cushion Care Warnings
- To protect delicate woven fabrics, do not machine wash cushions covered in tapestry fabrics such as the Woodlands Collection. Tapestry fabrics are Spot Clean. Brisbane Collection cushions are Hand Wash or Spot Clean.
- Dry heat will cause the latex fill to degrade. Do not dry your cushion in the clothes dryer. Do not expose your cushions to strong sources of dry heat such as hot desert air, wood burning stoves, or open flames.
- See Stain Remover section below for warnings about stain removal products
- We will be unable to issue a refund or replacement if the item is damaged due to failure to follow care instructions.
How to remove stains for Latex Foam Cushions
CAUTION: Any stain remover treatment could potentially cause fading, or discoloration. Some stain remover treatments may leave residue. We recommend testing on an inconspicuous area or on a fabric swatch before attempting stain removal with any stain removal technique, including natural methods.
What kind of Stain Removal Treatment can I use on latex foam cushions?
To preserve the latex foam against degrading, we recommend spot treating the stain with a gentle natural stain remover, then rinsing with cool water, then machine washing according to the instructions above. To reduce the chance of discoloring, bleaching, or whitening the area to be spot cleaned, do not allow the stain remover to sit on the stain for much longer than the time it takes to takes to moisten the stain and remove any debris.
Recipe for gentle natural stain remover safe to use on latex foam cushions
- 1-2 parts oxygen cleaner such as OxyClean or hydrogen peroxide
- 1 part dish soap such as Dawn
- 1 part baking soda or kosher salt
What Alternative Cleaners are safe to use on latex foam cushions?
The following are safe to use on latex foam cushions for washing or stain removal; test first as they may cause fading or discoloration of fabric:
- Oxygen Cleaner such as OxyClean (our preferred stain treatment for latex foam, good for food, perspiration, and blood)
- Hydrogen Peroxide (dilute, rinse quickly, may bleach)
- Isopropyl Alcohol (good for ink or adhesive residue)
- Dish Washing Liquid
- Baking Soda
- Table Salt or Kosher Salt
- Borax (good for urine or to mix with other cleaners)
- White Vinegar (dilute, rinse well, do not use frequently)
Other stain remover treatments to be used with caution as they may degrade the foam. Never use bleach.
Is it safe to use enzyme cleaners on latex foam cushions?
Enzyme cleaners are best for cleaning urine or vomit and may be used to spot treat stains on latex foam cushions. Enzyme cleaner may bleach, whiten, or discolor fabrics, test on an inconspicuous area or fabric swatch first. It is important to quickly and thoroughly rinse the enzyme cleaner so that it does not degrade the foam. Cushions should go in the washing machine after being cleaned with enzyme cleaner to completely remove the enzymes from the foam. Follow care instructions for machine washable cushions above after spot treating.
Recipe for gentle natural enzyme cleaner
- 2 cups citrus skins, can include the rinds and some seeds or pulp leftover after juicing (lemon, orange, tangerine, grapefruit, lime, etc)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or raw cane sugar
- 1 tsp yeast
- 4 1/4 cups water
Shake all ingredients in a tightly sealed container to blend. Allow all ingredients to ferment in a loosely covered container for 2 weeks. Strain off liquid to separate and reserve liquid and pulp. Use liquid undiluted as a spot treatment for stains. Liquid can be diluted with water and used as a multipurpose cleanser. Pulp can be pulverized in blender or food processor then mixed with kosher salt or baking soda to be used as a cleaning scrub.
Hand Wash Care Instructions
Vacuum with extension wand if soiled with loose dirt or crumbs; do not use brush heads. Mix a solution of cold water with dishwashing liquid or gentle laundry detergent; hydrogen peroxide or oxygen cleaner can be added if heavily soiled. Apply cleaning solution by blotting with clean cloth or white papertowel, or spraying with spraybottle, or immersing in tub of cool soapy water. Do not scrub, rub or brush. Rinse off cleaning solution with a cloth or paper towel moistened with clear cool water, or immerse or spray with clear cool water. If saturated, press or squeeze out excess water by hand. Air dry on the line or on a wrack. Allow +24 hours to dry completely. Do not use dryer or expose to strong sources of direct heat, this will degrade the foam.
Spot Clean Instructions
Vacuum with extension wand if soiled with loose dirt or crumbs; do not use brush heads. Mix a solution of cold water with gentle dishwashing liquid or gentle laundry detergent. Apply cleaning solution by blotting with clean cloth or white papertowel, or spraying with spraybottle. Do not scrub, rub or brush. To rinse, dab with a cloth or paper towel moistened with clear cool water. Then dab with dry white paper towel or clean dry cloth to absorb moisture. Finish by allowing to air dry; do not use dryer or expose to strong sources of direct heat, this will degrade the foam.
Stain Resistant Treatments such as Scotchgard
We do not apply any stain resistant treatments to our cushions.
Our indoor/outdoor cushions and our Olefin cushions have some natural stain resistance due to the nature of the textile fibers used. These fibers shed liquids and do not absorb moisture, which makes it very difficult for most staining substances to adhere.
Some of our fabric suppliers apply a temporary treatment to protect the fabric during shipment. This can be removed by washing the cushions in the washing machine before use.
To shop cushions that have been made with fabric from suppliers that never use stain resistant or other protective treatments before shipping, shop the Premier Collection or the Brisbane Collection
Most of our cushions do just fine with occasional machine washing. If you are worried about stain resistance, we recommend selecting one of our Outdoor cushions or our Brisbane collection cushions, which have natural stain resistance and we feel do not require the application or reapplication of chemical treatments.
If you would like to apply a stain resistant treatment such as Scotchguard to your cushions we recommend testing a fabric swatch first, as these treatments may cause discoloration. Otherwise, it is possible to apply your own stain resistant treatment such as Scotchguard to the cushions to protect them from soiling.
We do not recommend attempting to apply a treatment to an indoor cushion for the purpose of using it outdoors, as these treatments eventually wear off.
Indoor / Outdoor Cushions
Items covered with Outdoor fabrics will be listed on our website with "Indoor/Outdoor", "Porch", or "Patio" in the title and will come with an Indoor/Outdoor care label sewn in. Only items with this label can be used outside. These items can be cleaned using the same Care Instructions for machine washable cushions above.
If you do not wish to wash your patio cushions in the washing machine, you can wash them outside with dishwashing liquid and the garden hose. Press out any excess water and allow to air dry in the sun.
Items on our website listed as Indoor/Outdoor will be fade resistant for up to a maximum number of hours of direct sun exposure. The number of hours each item is rated to resist is listed on the product detail page and ranges from 500-3000 hours.
For maximum life, when your cushions are not in use, store your cushions out of direct sunlight in a well ventilated area such as on the porch or in an area that gets shade or partial shade for a good part of the day.
Latex foam cushions are not suitable for desert or arid environments. Tropical and sub-tropical regions get more sun hours per day than northern climates.
Our indoor / outdoor cushions are made from fabrics that protect themselves against mildew. As long as they are well ventilated and able to dry completely after exposure to mist or rain, they typically remain mildew free even in humid climates. Being exposed to some direct sunlight after getting wet will help your cushions dry quickly and remain mildew free.
CAUTIONS: Cushions may develop mildew under the following conditions:
1. The cushion is being used on inappropriate furniture with a solid seat or back. Outdoor furniture should have slats or holes in the seat and back to allow ventilation.
2. The cushion is left to dry on a flat surface instead of on a wire rack, or hung on a line.
3. The cushion is stored in an unventilated room or container before drying completely.
Our Indoor/Outdoor items are made from 100% Spun Polyester or 100% Olefin fabrics.
These fabrics are fade resistant because the dyes are added when the yarns are spun. They do not require added chemicals to make them fade resistant the way fibers such as cotton might if you were trying to use cotton outdoors.
These fabrics protect themselves against mildew damage and have some natural stain resistance because the fibers shed water quickly and do not absorb moisture the way fibers such as cotton do. We do not apply anti-fungal or anti-microbial treatments to the fabric.
Window Treatments & Table Linens
Window Treatment and Table Linen care instructions depend on the fabric content (Cotton, Polyester, Linen, etc). If you're not sure of the fabric content please contact customer service.
If the item has not been soiled with food, pet messes or other moist substances, the best way to clean and preserve your valances and table linens is to dust them frequently.
For best results, remove dust with vacuum cleaner upholstery attachment. Make sure the upholstery attachment is clean before dusting window treatments or table linens. Window Treatments and Table Linens made from any fiber content can be cleaned with this method.
Tumble window treatments or table linens in the dryer on a "no heat" setting with a dryer sheet. Do not attempt if your dryer gets warm on the "no heat" setting.
If the fabric content is cotton, polyester, or a cotton poly/blend it may be machine washable (see cautions below). Use the same care instructions for machine washable cushions above.
1. See Dry Cleaning if the valance or table runner is lined, or reverses to a different fabric on the back, or has trim or tassels.
2. See Stain Remover section for warnings about stain removal.
3. Cotton and cotton blend fabrics may fade slightly or shrink slightly when washed in the washing machine.
Dry Cleaning is the recommended method for cleaning window treatments and table linens if they have been soiled too heavily for vacuuming or deodorizing.
The items should be considered Dry Clean Only: If the item has any amount of rayon, acrylic, or linen fabric content; If the item is lined or reverses to a different fabric on the back; If the item has trim, tassels or other decorative appliques; If the item is cotton or cotton blend and you wish to avoid slight shrinking or slight fading.
CAUTION: Cotton items may deteriorate and/or yellow if dry cleaned too frequently. Only use dry cleaning method on cotton items if they are too heavily soiled for dusting or they cannot be machine washed due to trim, lining, etc.
"MY FABULOUS CHAIR PADS"
My name is Patricia and I ordered a set of Chair Pads in February, 2017.
They have worn well, are still very “cushy” and haven’t had any rips, tears, or mishaps since they were first put into daily use. They went through many spills and stains and spot cleaning, though.
I found the tags I had cut from my 2017 cushions and discovered they were machine washable! I couldn’t believe how they came out!!! Still fluffy, seams and dimples intact, and stain free! They are truly “good as new.”
On the back of the saved tag, it states: “NO OTHER CUSHION WILL STAND THE RIGORS OF DAILY USE, OR MAINTAIN ITS SHAPE AND RESILIENCY LIKE OURS.” And I will say that has proven to be true. I am writing to let you and your employees know how extremely satisfied I am with my chair cushions after three and a half years
Thank you for a premium product proudly “MADE IN THE U.S.A.”